when i don't do this blog stuff for a while, apathy starts creeping in. but i feel like i need to write... the thought reservoir in my brain is about to break and send the little dutch boy with his finger in the dam into the next life. so here's what i know:
1. i know that i love not being sick. last month i was sicker than i've been since high school -- flat on my back, dizzy, vomiting, fevering, uncontrollable hacking, swine flu sick. the doctor said it wasn't the swine flu. what does he know. that wasn't a question. i lived, in case you were wondering. in reality it probably wasn't so bad, but matt was out of town when it struck, and i would have poked my eyes out with a spoon had the little boy taken ill. mercy shone down on us that week... fox miraculously eluded infection, and he decided that he likes the taste of hand sanitizer (read: alcohol).
2. i know that i sort of love orange county. the smell of blossoms wafts through the air, the beach is close, people drive cars to super target, there is a super target, and the local trader joe's is EMPTY (next time i go to the union square trader joe's here in nyc, i'm taking a picture of the crowded aisles -- navigating that joint with a stroller is like trying to push a coffin through the general admission section of a stones concert). we had to travel to the county of orange for a family wedding, and whilst there, the thought of returning to new york city kind of made my stomach hurt, which leads me to the next thing i know: i know that i can't live in a big city long-term. i think part of me would die a little, and i'm certain i would die young from black lung. but for now, i love new york. our time here will be over much too soon.
i know fox really loved orange county, too:
3. i know i have good friends. everywhere.
4. i know that i won't be reading lauren conrad's fiction novel about a girl whose life is plastered all over a reality television show. oh lauren. i kind of thought you were smart for a second. quit while you're ahead.
5. i know there is an erin burton in british columbia who isn't getting some of her emails. i'm trying to set things straight, erin; i really am. some of the senders are repeat offenders, even after i give them the heads up about the wrong address. i'm starting to wonder if the canadian erin burton gives out my email as a bogus email, like a fake phone number. do you think i want to deal with the poor schmucks you're trying to fade-out, girlfriend? not cool, erin. not cool. there's also another erin burton floating around out there with relatives living somewhere in the dirty south. i sometimes get family email updates intended for said erin asking me to pray for a sick brother and for an uncle who knocked over a drug store. i kind of like those emails.